The Lord has blessed Longview Community Church for more than sixty (60) wonderful years!
Longview is one of the oldest Reformed Churches in Arizona. Our first meetings were held at Cook Christian Training School, a mission school supported by the Reformed Church that trained members from various Arizona Indian tribes to become pastors to their own tribes. Our first services were held on May 22, 1950, when 16 families affiliated with the Reformed Church in America met in the auditorium of Old Osborn School, located at the corner of Central Avenue and Osborn Road, now the site of the Financial Center Building.
In 1950, two lots located on East Whitton were purchased and the first building on the campus was erected, the parsonage. It has housed many pastors over the years and is still our current parsonage. (Photos of pastors may be seen in the conference room).
In 1952, the first chapel building was erected. This is now our Fellowship Hall. By 1954 church growth required additional space for Sunday School, and the wings for classrooms were built. The first services in our current sanctuary were held on Easter Sunday, 1961. Our congregation filled the sanctuary and included a forty member choir.
As the need arose and the Valley of the Sun expanded, Longview families helped start other churches in the suburbs, from Mesa to Goodyear, and from far north Phoenix to south Phoenix. Longview has helped to start or “mothered” at least 4 other Reformed churches in Arizona: Tucson Reformed Church, Christ Community Church in Glendale, Desert Haven in Mesa, and Glass and Garden Church in Scottsdale, now called “The Garden.”
The international flags displayed in our sanctuary are a tribute to our mission-minded congregation. Since the beginning of our Hispanic ministry in 2003, in addition to our Dutch/European heritage, we now welcome people from Africa, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Uruguay, Ecuador, Columbia, Argentina and other countries!We have also been instrumental is starting other Hispanic congregations in other churches in the Phoenix area. As the Lord helps and blesses us, we forge ahead with His work. We plan to continue to grow in the Lord, plant our roots deep in the faith, and may God bless us all!